You've been logged out of GDC Vault since the maximum users allowed for this account has been reached. To access Members Only content on GDC Vault, please log out of GDC Vault from the computer which last accessed this account.

Click here to find out about GDC Vault Membership options for more users.


Session Name:

Why Free-to-Play MMOs Don't Work, From the People that Own the Free-to-Play Trademark!


Free2Play downloadable PC/Mac games have had a great run, not the least in the media, with the likes of League of Legends, DOTA2 and World of Tanks grabbing all the headlines. But how does the business look one step down from the top 1%? After spending 18 months in Steam's Top-5 Free2Play games (out of 140 games), Reloaded Games is happy to pull back the curtain on how 'the other 99%' live in that world. In short, in spite of all the hype, the Western Free2Play downloadable market remains significantly smaller than the 'traditional boxed product' market for PC and Console with only one or two Free2Play franchises making 'real' money in 'the West.' New entrants like Hawken and Marvel Heroes are entering a rather unfriendly world for companies looking to make back investments in the tens and hundreds of million of dollars.

Did you know free users get access to 30% of content from the last 2 years?

Get your team full access to the most up to date GDC content

  • GDC Next 2013
  • Bjorn Book-Larsson
  • Reloaded Games, Inc.
  • free content
  • Future of Gaming
  • Other