|Session Name:||Making a Car Sound Like a Car - An Audio Vivisection of One of the Cars of FORZA MOTORSPORT 3|
|Speaker(s):||Mike Caviezel, Greg Shaw|
|Company Name(s):||Turn 10 Studios, Microsoft, Turn 10 Studios, Microsoft|
|Track / Format:||Audio|
If you've ever had to author sound for a car before, then you know that vehicle sound design has a very unique set of sound design challenges. In this session, we'll outline those challenges, and then we'll take apart the audio for one of our star cars, piece by piece, to show you how we did it for Forza Motorsport 3. Along the way, we'll answer questions such as:
- How does a car generate sound in real life, and what's the best way to capture it?
- How much physics control do I really need to make it sound like a car?
- Besides the engine, what ELSE makes a car sound like a car?
- I'm not making a Forza-scale game about cars - how can I condense the process for my game?
- We'll also take a look at the Forza Motorsport 3 toolset, and talk about how the right tools keep the quality bar high, the cost down, and deliver world-class vehicle audio on-time